Celebrating 150 Years of Ophthalmology
In 1928, when innovator and philanthropist Edward S. Harkness brought together Columbia University and Presbyterian Hospital, he created what was then a revolutionary approach to medicine: the academic medical center. Through its very foundation, the Department of Ophthalmology established the school’s tradition of academic excellence, leadership and innovation, promulgating our institution’s foundational DNA.
Today, moving into a future marked by Precision Ophthalmology and customized genetic, diagnostic and translational clinical care, the school’s rich history of innovation continues. In the year of the medical school’s 150th anniversary, we look forward to strengthening this community of leadership and innovation. And so, it is with great pleasure that we hereby announce the rebranded alumni organization will now be known as the Columbia Ophthalmology Alumni Society (COAS).
Are You Connected?
As alumni of this school, you and your experience are also part of our institution’s great legacy. Whether you did your residency or fellowship, here at Harkness, or are a graduate of Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons and attended ophthlamology school elsewhere, please join us. Your involvement will ensure the success and the future our organization, its programs and members.
- Questionnaire -- Please take a moment to complete the online questionnaire , giving us your professional and personal contact information. Or if you are already a member, please complete the form to enable us to update your existing data.
- Directory -- Request your copy of the Columbia Ophthalmology Alumni Society Directory by sending your inquiry to email@example.com, with "COAS Directory" in subject line.
- Upcoming Events -- Columbia Ophthalmology Alumni Society Cocktail Reception at the AAO
- Sunday, October 28, 2019 | Chicago, IL
- Sunday, October 13, 2019 | San Francisco, CA
This way, we can continue to grow the network, keep you informed of Columbia Ophthalmology Alumni Society activities, and uphold the rich tradition, legacy and learning for which Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute has become internationally known and regarded.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
G. A. (Jack) Cioffi, MD
Jean and Richard Deems Professor
Bryan Winn, MD
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Barbara Wirostko, MD
Alumni Society President