- Myopic refractive shift which patients notice as an improvement in their near vision
- Decrease in distance vision, difficulty with night driving, monocular diplopia and loss of color discrimination ability
- Gradual opacification of the central portion of the lens nucleus
- Age-related, involves the hardening (sclerosis) and either yellowing or brown to black darkening (brunescense) of the lens nucleus
- Management: when the reduction in visual function associated with the cataract interferes with daily activities, cataract surgery may be considered.