- Considered to be a feature of AMD.
- Their presence is associated with increased risk of the development of RPE abnormalities, geographic atrophy and choroidal neovascularization.
- Symptoms: may have decreased vision or metamorphopsia
- Defined as greater than 63µm in diameter
- Vary in size and shape
- Occasionally seen as confluent structures with indistinct margins
Fluorescein angiogram demonstrates:
- Early hyperfluorescence
- Either fading of fluorescence or staining of diffuse drusen in the late phase depending on the phospholipid content
- Pooling of dye within focal detachments of Bruch's membrane