- Instructor in Optometric Sciences (in Ophthalmology)
With more than 16 years of experience in optometry, Dr. Luz Amaro-Quireza provides our patients with annual eye and vision exams, prescriptions for eyeglasses, contact lens fittings, as well as care for the management of conjunctivitis, dry eyes, blepharitis, and allergies.
Dr. Amaro-Quireza obtained her O.D. degree from The New England College of Optometry. Following, she joined the New England Eye Center at Tufts School of Medicine where she worked at the neuro-ophthalmology department. Before coming to New York, she spent five months at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London completing an internship in the Electrophysiology Department.
After that, she joined Bronx Lebanon Hospital, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, as a faculty attending for optometry and ophthalmology residencies.
Prior to her Study in the U.S., Dr. Amaro-Quireza received a diploma in optometry and completed her Master’s Degree in Optometry in Madrid, Spain.
Dr. Amaro-Quireza has worked on several publications in different ophthalmic magazines and has been an invited speaker to multiple international conferences. Her clinical interests include:
• The early detection of refractive errors in young children for the prevention of amblyopia (lazy eye);
• The role and impact of visual impairment on the quality of life for children;
• The impact of refractive errors and binocular vision disorders on school and academic performance;
• The ocular effects of nutrition and systemic diseases; and
• The role of electrophysiology as an important tool in the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of retinal diseases.
Finally, Dr. Amaro-Quireza names humanitarian services among her passions.
Areas of Expertise
- General Ophthalmology
- Pediatric Optometry
- OD, 1998 New England College of Optometry
- Internship: 2007 Moorefields Eye Hospital
- Residency: 2013 Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center
Education & Training
Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute635 West 165th Street
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-9535
- (212) 342-5293
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NY Signature, NYP Employee Plan, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- AgeWell [Medicare Managed Care, Special Needs Plan]
- Capital District Physician Health Plan [Capital District Physician Health Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Elderplan [Medicare Managed Care]
- Emblem/GHI [Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [EPO, Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- MagnaCare [MagnaCare]
- Medicare [Traditional Medicare (NY)]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- MVP Health Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, Compass (Exchange), HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-9535