- Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at CUMC
Current Administrative Positions
- Medical Director, Clinical Trials Unit
Dr. C. Gustavo De Moraes is an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Medical Director of Clinical Trials of the Department of Ophthalmology at Columbia University Medical Center / New York Presbyterian Hospital. He sees patients with or at risk of developing glaucoma. His primary research interests are in novel techniques for glaucoma diagnosis, detection of progression, and treatment. Based on his research, Dr. De Moraes has been ranked among the top 10 glaucoma experts in the world, as cited at Expertscape.com.
Dr. De Moraes completed a glaucoma fellowship at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary (NYEEI), later directing the Glaucoma Research Unit at the Einhorn Clinical Research Center of the NYEEI. He was also a Research Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at New York University (NYU).
Dr. De Moraes is a member of the American Medical Association (AMA), American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), American Glaucoma Society (AGS), New York Glaucoma Society (NYGS), Ophthalmic Laser and Imaging Society (OLIS), and World Glaucoma Association (WGA).
He has published over 170 articles in peer-reviewed journals and is currently a member of the editorial boards of some of the journals with highest impact factor in the field of Ophthalmology. He has authored/ co-authored 5 book chapters in Ophthalmology and Glaucoma, as well as the Consensus on Medical Treatment and Consensus on Glaucoma Progression of the WGA.
Dr. De Moraes is chair of the Associate Advisory Board of the WGA and a member of its Education Committee. He is a member of the Publications Committee of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO). In 2017, he received the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Achievement Award.
Dr. De Moraes’ clinical research is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Research to Prevent Blindness (RPB), New York, NY.
To view a full listing of Dr. DeMoraes’ publications, click here.
Areas of Expertise
- Clinical Research Trials
- Glaucoma Diabetic Eye Disease
- Glaucoma Laser Surgery
- Glaucoma Surgery
- Visual Fields
Education and Training
- PhD, University of Sao Paulo, Faculty of Medicine (Brazil)
- MPH, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- MD, 2003 University of Sao Paulo, Faculty of Medicine (Brazil)
- Residency: 2008 University of Sao Paulo, Faculty of Medicine (Brazil)
- Fellowship: 2007 University of Sao Paulo, Faculty of Medicine (Brazil)
- Fellowship: 2009 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary
CUMC/Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute635 West 165th Street
New York, NY 10032
- (212) 305-9535
ColumbiaDoctors Third Avenue880 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
- (212) 305-9535
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NYP Employee Plan, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- AgeWell [Medicare Managed Care, Special Needs Plan]
- Capital District Physician Health Plan [Capital District Physician Health Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO, Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare [MagnaCare]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- MVP Health Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, Compass (Exchange), HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-9535