- Assistant Professor of Optometric Sciences (in Ophthalmology) at the Columbia University Medical Center
Current Administrative Positions
- Director of Optometric Services
Suzanne Walter Sherman, OD, FAAO, FSLS, is Assistant Professor of Optometric Sciences (in Ophthalmology), Director of Optometric Services at Columbia University Irving Medical Center. She specializes in complex and medically necessary contact lens fittings, anterior segment disease and primary care.
Dr. Sherman received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan with a degree in Brain, Behavior and Cognitive Science. Dr. Sherman graduated from SUNY College of Optometry and elected to the Beta Sigma Kappa International Optometric Honors Society. She completed her optometric residency in Ocular Disease and Primary Care at Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center.
She is board certified by the American Board of Optometry and National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO). Dr. Sherman is a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry and a Fellow of the Scleral Lens Society. Dr. Sherman is also dedicated to research and has contributed in peer-reviewed scientific articles in publications such as Review of Optometry (RO), Review of Optometry: Cornea and Contact Lens (ROCCL) Optometric Vision and Science (OVS), Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) and American Academy of Optometry (AAO). Dr. Sherman has presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Optometry (AAO) and Global Specialty Contact Lens Symposium (GSLS).
Areas of Expertise
- Contact Lens/Glasses Fitting
- Corneal Irregularities
- Primary Care and Ocular Disease
- RGP/Hybrid/Scleral Contact Lenses
Education and Training
- OD, State University of New York College of Optometry
- Residency: Bronx - Lebanon Hospital
ColumbiaDoctors - Third Avenue880 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
- (212) 305-9535
- (212) 305-0212
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- AETNA [Aetna Signature Administrators, EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NYP Employee Plan, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Student Health]
- CIGNA [EPO, Great West (National), HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO, HMO, PPO]
- MagnaCare (National) [MagnaCare]
- Medicare [Railroad, Traditional Medicare]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty]
- RiverSpring [Special Needs]
- UnitedHealthcare [Compass (Exchange), Empire Plan, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-9535