The Department of Ophthalmology at Columbia University has a robust research program focused on disorders related to ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Faculty members Drs. Bryan J Winn and Martha G. Welch are currently conducting research to explore neuro-hormonal effects on dry eye syndrome and blepharitis (chronic eyelid margin inflammation) with an emphasis on developing novel treatments for these conditions. Dr. Winn is also studying the effects of aging on the face, specifically the eyebrow. The results of this research will create a greater understanding of how the eyebrow normally changes with age, thereby allowing reconstructive and aesthetic surgeons to better serve their patients. To learn more about our faculty and their research interests, please visit the link(s) below:
Below is a list of selected publications from our oculoplastic surgery faculty:
- Winn BJ, Chan P, Krueger RA, Sires BS. Subperiosteal Orbital Hematoma After Balloon Sinus Dilation. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Mar 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Winn BJ, Sires BS. Electromyographic Differences Between Normal Upper and Lower Facial Muscles and the Influence of Onabotulinum Toxin A. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2013 Feb 21:1-7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Winn BJ, Whitman MC. Chapter 2: Stem Cells in Oculofacial Plastic Surgery. In Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in Ophthalmology. Stephen H. Tsang (Ed.). Springer. 2013
- Ahuero AE, Winn BJ, Sires BS. Standardized suture placement for mini-invasive ptosis surgery. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2012 Nov;14(6):408-12.
- Dale EA, Dagi Glass LR, Whitman MC, Chen RWS, Winn BJ. Review of “Evidence-based guidelines for cataract surgery: Guidelines based on data in the European Registry of Quality Outcomes for Cataract and Refractive Surgery database.” EyeWorld Journal Club, June 2012.
- Winn BJ, Rootman J. Sclerosing orbital inflammation and systemic disease. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Mar;28(2):107-18. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e31823d2103.
- Peckinpaugh JL, Winn BJ, Barrett RV, Jacobsen DW, Sires BS, Meyer DR, Jian-Amadi A. Isolated squamous cell carcinoma of the orbital apex. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 May;28(3):e72-4.
- Xu L, Winn BJ, Odel JG. Lyme-associated orbital inflammation presenting as painless subacute unilateral ptosis. J Neuroophthalmol. 2012 Sep;32(3):246-8.
- Winn BJ, LauKaitis SJ. Ocular Rosacea. In: Onofrey BE, Skorin L, Holdeman NR. Ocular therapeutics handbook: a clinical manual. Third edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2011.
- Ahuero AE, Winn BJ, LauKaitis SJ. Botulinum Toxin and Facial Fillers. In: Onofrey BE, Skorin L, Holdeman NR (eds.) Ocular therapeutics handbook: a clinical manual. Third edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2011.
- Winn BJ, Sires BS. Ectropion. In: Albert DM, Lucarelli MJ. Clinical Atlas of Procedures in Ophthalmic and Oculofacial Surgery. 2nd Edition. Oxford University Press. 2011.
- Winn BJ, Smith SD, Garcia DD, Jian-Amadi A, Sires BS. Re: "Prospective randomized comparison of external dacryocystorhinostomy with and without silicone intubation". Br J Ophthalmol. 2011 Jan;95(1):152.
- Cole EA, Winn BJ, Putterman AM. Measurement of eyebrow position from inferior corneal limbus to brow: a new technique. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Nov-Dec;26(6):443-7.
- Winn BJ, Herreid PA, Sires BS. Intravenous pyogenic granuloma of the angular vein. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jul-Aug;25(4):341-3.
- Winn BJ, Sires BS. Re: "The hydrogel lacrimal stent for dacryocystorhinostomy: preliminary experience". Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jan-Feb;25(1):75-6; author reply 76.
- Vagefi MR, Winn BJ, Lin CC, Sires BS, LauKaitis SJ, Anderson RL, McCann JD. Facial nerve injury during external dacryocystorhinostomy. Ophthalmology. 2009 Mar;116(3):585-90.